Saturday, January 9, 2010

Learning My Dungeon Alphabet!


IT'S HERE!!!
I'd pre-ordered Michael Curtis' wild and woolly Dungeon Alphabet from Goodman Games back in December and it arrived this morning. I can't tell you how un-be-liev-ably cool it is--so I'll just show you! I don't want to get into any trouble with images, so I'll keep these small, but rest assured it's worth MORE than the measly $9.99 I paid for it (plus shipping).

Inside cover spread...


It's filled with all kinds of old-school goodness (it's system neutral) and even has a few pages on injecting weird elements into your games. Here's the alpha-letter rundown:
A is for Altars
B is for Books
C is for Caves
D is for Doors
E is for Echos
F is for Fungi
G is for Gold
H is for Hallways
I is for Inscriptions
J  is for Jewels
K is for Kobolds
L is for Levers
M is for Magic
N is for No Stone is Left Unturned
O is for Oozes
P is for Pools
Q is for Questions
R is for Rooms
S is for Statues
T is for Traps
U is for Undead
V is for Vermin
W is for Weird
X is for Xenophobia
Y is for Yellow
Z is for Zowie!

All of the letters are chocked full of great ideas in the form of random tables. Just about every page has an illustration in the OSR spirit, as well it should--it boasts an incredible line-up of OE D&D artists, including Erol Otus, Jeff Easley, Jim Holloway, Jim Roslof (among others).

A is for Altar....


Z is for Zowie...


I especially appreciate the W is for Weird and Z is for Zowie letters, which are direct descendants of modules like Expedition to the Barrier Peaks (these aren't my words, they're straight outta' the book). Anyway, this has to be one of the best OSR products out there and you don't have to be a fan of the OSR to use this book. That said, those who are playing OE or retro-clones will full appreciate what a wonderful product Michael, Goodman, and the illustrators have created.

So the real question here is--why haven't you picked up yours yet?! :)

9 comments:

Eli Arndt said...

Oh man!

I am so happy I ordered this now. I hope it gets here soon. I ordered it at the top of January.

Aaron E. Steele said...

I need to get this...

Eli Arndt said...

Hope you don't mind that I posted a link to your review on my blog. Your review showcases the book itself the best out of all the reviews I've seen.

Jay said...

@Paladin, YES!

@ Eli, of course, I'd be honored!

Eli Arndt said...

Gads this is a lovely book. I keep coming back to this post to look at the pics.

Michael Curtis said...

Thanks for the praise, Jay. I think everyone involved with the book appreciates your kind words and is pleased that the book captures that dungeon crawl of yore spirit. Enjoy the book and happy delving!

Jay said...

Thanks Michael! You (and everyone involved) have a lot to be proud of!!

Eli Arndt said...

Does anyone know when they started shipping?

Brutorz Bill said...

I'm so gonna have to get this.